Changing your Name by Newlywed Home Loans

Changing your Name

How to change your last name

In order to change your name with the social security office, you will need to fill out the form SS-5.  The nice part about this one is that you don’t have to go into the SS office, you can do this all by mail.  You can find a local Social Security Administration office on their website.

Required Documentation

  • SS-5 Form
  • Evidence of Age – Birth Certificate (0riginal)
  • Evidence of Identity – Copy of old Social Security Card, Driver’s License, or Passport
  • Marriage License – Must have Original

Notes & Tips

Fill out the form SS-5 completely in blue or black ink.  There is a cover page that has the requirements of what you need to send for the name change.  If we have listed something here that you don’t have to refer to the cover page for other options, or go to the SS website

You will need to go to the above website or call 1-800-772-1213 to get the address on which office you need to mail this too.  It is super easy and they usually come back in less than a month.

Don’t forget you will also need to change your name on all your credit cards, debit cards, school ID, professional licenses, etc.

Author: admin

Scroll to Top